Youth Development Scholarships
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AWARDS 2016
One of the most significant activities of the Union of Rowers is the support given to promising young athletes each year, through scholarship awards of $1000.00 each
This year seven scholarships were awarded to two young oarswomen and five oarsmen at the 2016 Rowing NSW Awards Dinner. They are in alpha order:
- Olivia Bartram: Aged 17 years and attends Year 12 at Loreto Normanhurst. Won Gold in the U/21 Double and Silver in the U/21 Quad at National as well as Silver in the National Schoolgirl event. She is currently the State Schoolgirl Champion Sculler and was a member of the Normanhurst first Eight. Olivia’s 2015/2016 season saw many wins in a various boat classes at Association/Club/School Regattas.
- Pasha Bevan: Aged 17 years – attends Shore School and is a member of Sydney Rowing Club, under coach Lachlan Carter. Pasha was stroke of the Shore first Eight which won both the National and State Title. This eight was successful at the Lake Karapiro Christmas Regatta in New Zealand; the Riverview Gold Cup but success in Doubles and Quads saw his introduction into the NSW Institute of Sport programs. He has been selected for the Australian Men’s Quad at the 2016 Junior World Championships.
- Marcus Britt: Aged 18 years formerly a student at St Josephs College Hunters Hill and the 2015 winning First Eight. Now with the Sydney University Boat Club he won Gold in the Men’s U/19 Pair and Four events at Nationals and following the recent Junior Team Selection Trials, will compete for Australia at the 2016 Junior World Rowing Championships in the Netherlands, in the U/19 Men’s Coxed Four.
- Harry Crouch: Aged 16 from Condobolin NSW and attends Kinross Wolaroi School at Orange. Won Silver in the National U/17 Coxed Quad and Bronze in the U/18 Coxed Four. The State Championships provided Gold in the U/17 Single, coxed Quad and Under 19 Coxed Four. As a sprinter at the State Championships took Gold in both the Singles and Doubles.
- Matthew Curtin: Aged 19 years and is a member of UTS Rowing Club. Achieved Gold in both the Under 23 Lightweight Double and Interstate Youth Men’s Eight and Silver in the Lightweight Quad at Nationals. Gold in both the U/21 Lightweight Sculls and Elite Lightweight Quad at State Championships as well as a seat in the successful NSW Interstate Youth Eight and selection in the Australian Representative U/21 Team.
- Harriet Hudson: Aged 18 years from Sydney Rowing Club under Coach Donovan Cech and undertaking a Bachelor of Health Science Degree at Sydney University. Harriet is the National Champion U/19 Single Sculls and shared Gold at Nationals in the U/19 Women’s Double, Quad and Eight, Sydney Club Women’s Eight. At State she is the U/19 Champion and was a medallist in other crew events. Harriet has been selected as the Australian Junior Women’s Sculler to compete at the Junior World Championships in the Netherlands.